[WSBAPT] Trustee choice for Minor Settlement Trust, SPR RULE 98.16W(j)(3)(C)

Nicholas Pleasants nick at pleasantslaw.com
Wed Nov 10 17:03:48 PST 2021

There are a lot of facts missing here, so it’s hard to say what the court might or might not approve. But theoretically yes, a lay person could qualify to serve as sole trustee or co-trustee of a MST and post a bond. Depending on the amount of money involved, those annual bond premiums could be a lot (see e.g. https://www.webondu.com/bond-rates). That’s one factor that might justify the cost of a professional fiduciary such as a trust company that is not required to purchase the bond. And the annual reporting is a bit cumbersome. I’ve never had a non-family lay person want to be involved on that level, but if there is a sophisticated family friend that can do this, then that’s great! I’d run this by the SGAL to take their temperature on it before I got too far along in the drafting process.
Best,
Nick

Nicholas Pleasants
Owner

[(Logo) Pleasants Law Firm]<http://www.pleasantslaw.com/>

Pleasants Law Firm, P.S.
2300 130th Ave NE, Suite A-101
Bellevue, WA 98005-1755
(425) 615-7070 tel/fax
nick at pleasantslaw.com<mailto:nick at pleasantslaw.com>
www.pleasantslaw.com<http://www.pleasantslaw.com>
The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and is confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient, or any employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient. Any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original message and all attachments from your electronic files.