[WSBAPT] Is a Criminal Restitution Judgment Enforceable by Victim

Robert West rwest at westlawoffices.com
Wed Nov 3 11:29:25 PDT 2021

I have an issue I have not dealt with before.  My client was the victim of an embezzlement.  The sentencing judgment ordered restitution in the amount of $30,000 with terms and directed defendant to make monthly payments to the registry of the court to be disbursed to my client.  The defendant has stopped making payments, but has substantial equity in her house.  The prosecuting attorney shows no interest in enforcing collection.  Question: could a copy of the restitution order be recorded against the defendant's real estate or would it be necessary to seek a modification of the judgment naming my client as the judgment creditor and awardee?

Robert E. West, Jr.
WEST LAW OFFICES, P.S.
Attorneys at Law
332 1st Street NE