[WSBAPT] Trust Property Not Distributed Per Terms, Now Beneficiary has died....

Nicholas Pleasants nick at pleasantslaw.com
Tue Nov 2 15:17:09 PDT 2021

My take is that the right of D/PB is vested to D/PB’s estate and heirs, and should not pass under the Trust (unless the Trust had language that allowed D/PB to leave it in, but it sounds like that was not the case). D/PB’s Estate would have claim against Trustee for failure to distribute. There are some statute of limitations issues, but breach would run from discovery, and there is a pretty strong argument if it was just discovered by D/PB’s heirs.
I’ve crossed this issue in several probates that stretched on for years, and during the pendency of probate, a beneficiary of the probate died. I’ve always understood that the share vested to the beneficiary, and now beneficiary’s estate must also be probated.
Best,
Nick

Nicholas Pleasants
Owner

[(Logo) Pleasants Law Firm]<http://www.pleasantslaw.com/>

Pleasants Law Firm, P.S.
2300 130th Ave NE, Suite A-101
Bellevue, WA 98005-1755
(425) 615-7070 tel/fax
nick at pleasantslaw.com<mailto:nick at pleasantslaw.com>
www.pleasantslaw.com<http://www.pleasantslaw.com>
The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and is confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient, or any employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient. Any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original message and all attachments from your electronic files.