[WSBAPT] Language for notice to disinherited heir?

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Mon Nov 1 13:02:57 PDT 2021

Erin,

I certainly am not an expert on all things trust but generally speaking, most people use these to ensure that certain information is not disclosed.  I personally would not send a copy of the trust.  In fact, I might not take any action.  If anything, I would direct them to the county where the Will was filed and they can see the estate went into trust.  Thereafter, if they request trust information, I think it is your obligation, barring direction from the Trustee who understands his/her role, to indicated that only "qualified beneficiaries" as that term is defined in statute are entitled to trust information and that such person is not a qualified beneficiary (assuming you made sure of that).

Any person with an interest in an estate or trust is entitled to file a TEDRA.  If you are wanting to be proactive, I would dialogue with the client of sending a more direct letter indicating that the trust provides no interest to the party and therefore there will be no further communication on the same (of course you can broaden that letter as you see fit).  I personally would only provide a copy of the trust in very limited circumstances.

All the best,

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden