[WSBAPT] Community Property Agreement and Decedent's Last Pay Check

Laura Latta laura at lauralatta.com
Tue May 25 14:45:27 PDT 2021

Hello Listmates,

I'm representing a surviving spouse who has been able to
successfully transfer all assets (so far) on the basis of a community
property agreement. However, the decedent's employer is insisting on
issuing the last paycheck to the Estate of the decedent. I've not come
across this before as I nearly always handle cases where we are opening a
probate.  Obviously we don't want to open a probate just to cash a last
paycheck.

I'd love to hear your ideas and strategies to:

1) Convince the employer to honor the CPA and issue the check to the
surviving spouse; or

2) Allow the surviving spouse to cash a check made out to the estate
without letters testamentary. Could it be as simple as presenting the
paycheck to the bank with the CPA? I'm not sure if  RCW 30A.22.190
<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=30A.22.190> will help because
the check is made out to the estate rather than the decedent.

3) Other approaches?

--

*Laura LattaLaw Office of Laura Latta PLLC*

she/her

Phone (206) 841-2344

www.LauraLatta.com

PO Box 82356

Kenmore, WA 98028

*NOTICE:  This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you have received it in error, please advise the sender by
reply email and immediately delete the message and any attachments without
copying it or disclosing its contents to others.*