[WSBAPT] trust queston

Jennifer L White jen at appletreelaw.com
Mon May 24 12:28:00 PDT 2021

I agree with Nicholas and his analysis.
Another alternative - sometimes those types of beneficiaries do understand their own frailties and do not want to blow their inheritance. A lower cost alternative if there is agreement is for the beneficiary to designate a POA (perhaps one of the other siblings, preferably a responsible one). The POA then manages the gift for the beneficiary and they work out a distribution scheme that gives $$, but meters it out. Obviously, this doesn't work if the beneficiary is hellbent on getting their hands on the $$ and blowing through it.  That scenario doesn't protect against creditors either, but it can work for some situations.

Jennifer L. White, Esq.

jen at appletreelaw.com
PO Box 11037
Yakima, WA 98909