[WSBAPT] Small Estate w/ Minor and 401(k)

Nicholas Pleasants nick at pleasantslaw.com
Tue May 4 19:32:39 PDT 2021

Here are some questions to consider:

  1.  Did the decedent have a Will? Did it leave the property to the spouse? If so, then no need to analyze community vs separate property, issues of minor child, etc.
  2.  Were they in the process of divorce? See Estate of Petelle<https://advance.lexis.com/documentpage/?pdmfid=1000516&crid=32c9c72e-8fd5-4343-aab0-cb27266c85f8&config=00JABhZjY0ZmI3Ny04MzkwLTRlMzAtYjllNC03MzdlOTgyYTY2MDEKAFBvZENhdGFsb2eA00v3ycmKG7ve38pfdpvF&pddocfullpath=%2Fshared%2Fdocument%2Fcases%2Furn%3AcontentItem%3A5YWW-MVM1-FGRY-B278-00008-00&pdcontentcomponentid=506039&pdteaserkey=sr0&pditab=allpods&ecomp=L5w_kkk&earg=sr0&prid=d5f43801-3411-4ab3-9b5f-ec87216e4c3f>, 195 Wn.2d 661, 462 P.3d 848 (2020). The court held that a signed property settlement contract was valid despite the Decree of Dissolution not being entered.
  3.  Was it all community property? If there was money in a separate account that was pre-marriage or inherited, then it should be treated differently.
Practically speaking, I think this is going to depend on whether the 401(k) Administrator will accept the Small Estate Affidavit. I have tried several times, and all of the major brokerages refuse to accept the Small Estate Affidavit. So you are probably going to need to probate to access those accounts.
Best,
Nick

Nicholas Pleasants
Owner

[(Logo) Pleasants Law Firm]<http://www.pleasantslaw.com/>

Pleasants Law Firm, P.S.
2300 130th Ave NE, Suite A-101
Bellevue, WA 98005-1755
(425) 615-7070 tel/fax
nick at pleasantslaw.com<mailto:nick at pleasantslaw.com>
www.pleasantslaw.com<http://www.pleasantslaw.com>
The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and is confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient, or any employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient. Any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original message and all attachments from your electronic files.