[WSBAPT] Questions re scrap boat/vehicles on property - probate

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Mon Mar 29 17:35:36 PDT 2021

Suzanne,

I am going out on a limb here and really curious if anyone else has thoughts (or maybe you’ve found you answer and I missed it).  Clearly if they are titled in  decedent’s name they are part of the estate and the Administrator has the obligation to “gather all the assets and distribute them in accordance with the laws of intestacy”.  With that in mind, I would say she has no obligation – however with them being on her property, I think there could be a host of Public Nuisance issues that may expose her to liability – I’m having flashbacks to my law school days.  Then, as to the question of her rights in having them removed, I get flashbacks of all the bailment rules. I would assume she is considered a bailor but what category post death I’m not sure.

If the son is the sole heir, my off the cuff thought is that her best bet is to get an e-mail from PR indicating she can have them hauled off and maybe she even pays – not sure how much it would be – she got the home in an intestacy estate which is pretty impressive (jwros? todd?).  If he is not the only heir, she absolutely needs to rethink a strategy because the last thing she needs is a sibling to say they should have gotten 2 certain cars or the boat or whatever.

Another situation of bad facts, creating work that costs money and eventually someone has to pay but as an initial answer, the PR should be work on it.  I know this isn’t super helpful but I didn’t see anything come by and these are the real life probate type issues I find fascinating.

Best,

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden