[WSBAPT] Honesty with PR

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Fri Mar 26 08:40:48 PDT 2021

In my opinion, an attorney for a PR does not have fiduciary duties to the beneficiaries.  The PR is the person with fiduciary duties to the beneficiaries.  The attorney represents only the PR, and none of the beneficiaries.  But the attorney has a duty to advise the PR on how the PR should act in order to minimize any possibility of the PR incurring liability to the beneficiaries for breaching the PR’s fiduciary duties.  Down here in Oregon, the Oregon Supreme Court has ruled that an attorney may assist a fiduciary in carrying out an act that breaches the fiduciary’s duties, but the attorney might incur liability if the attorney helps the fiduciary to commit fraud.  Reynolds v. Schrock, 341 OR 338 (2006).  See also Fuentes v. Tillett, 263 Or. App. 9, 326 P.3d 1263 (2014) and Cruze v. Hudler, 246 Or. App. 649 (2011).  Of course, the problem is that there is a fine line between a breach of fiduciary duty and a fraud, so caution is needed.  Resignation might be the best answer.
If anyone has any other case law on this question, please share.  The answer might vary from state to state.
Phil Jones
Portland, OR

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP