[WSBAPT] Special Needs Trust as Testamentary Trust in a Will

Ronda Larson Kramer ronda at larsonlawpllc.com
Mon Mar 22 12:32:26 PDT 2021

No problem, Susan. LA Plus is a nonprofit that runs a pooled trust. Disabled people can use it to hold resources for them and act as trustee for them over those resources. Because the resources of all the disabled people who have resources with LA Plus are managed in a pool, it becomes very efficient for LA Plus to administer the SNTs of all of them. Most people know LA Plus in its capacity of managing SNTs for people whose own resources went into his or her trust. This is a "first-party trust." In those cases, the trust template that LA Plus uses has a statutorily required Medicaid payback provision but statute allows the creator of the trust to choose between paying back Medicaid or letting LA Plus retain whatever is left over after the beneficiary dies. In the latter case, the remainder goes back into the pool to help other disabled people. However, if the Medicaid payback option is chosen, and if Medicaid has been paid back and there are still funds remaining in a person's SNT, the remaining funds would go to his or her contingent beneficiaries if some were named. So even in the case of first-party trusts using a pooled trust, one can have contingent beneficiaries like family members listed in the document. They merely won't be receiving anything if it's all taken by the Medicaid payback.

In your case, you are working with the funds of not the disabled person but of someone else. Anyone else can create a SNT for a disabled person, and when they do, it's considered a "third-party trust." LA Plus manages third party trusts as well. When you use LA Plus, you simply use their own template for that. You don't draft the trust yourself. In those cases, there is no Medicaid payback required. Rather, the person who created the trust can choose to have remainder beneficiaries (e.g., a relative) to receive whatever remainder there might be when the beneficiary dies. Or he or she can choose to have the remainder funds go back into the pool.

In my wills, in appropriate cases, I will create a testamentary SNT but also insert a provision that says the PR can instead transfer the residue to the trustee of a pooled trust: "my Personal Representative is authorized to not distribute the residue of my estate to such Trustee but to instead distribute it to the trustee of a "third-party" pooled asset trust authorized by 42 U.S.C. § 1396p(d)(4)(C), to be held and administered for the benefit of my spouse." This is extra flexibility for the PR, since LA Plus and other pooled trusts are so low cost.

However, I haven't yet found a pooled trust other than LA Plus that understands the fact that there need not be a Medicaid payback in a testamentary (i.e., third party) context. So I would recommend LA Plus over other pooled trust entities if you decide to go the route of a pooled trust in your case. They've been doing it a long time and are really good.

Ronda Larson Kramer
J.D., LL.M. Taxation, Owner

LARSON LAW, PLLC
Elder Law, Estate Planning