[WSBAPT] Purchasing property so it is hard to trace ownership

Sarah J. Dion SDion at skellengerbender.com
Thu Mar 18 16:02:35 PDT 2021

Thank you, Megan. I appreciate the tip. That is critical!

I have been meaning to email the listserv again to report what I have learned. Thanks to everyone who responded. This is a quick summary of my research-there are of course, lots of details I am not covering, etc.

  1.  If you want to keep a property purchase truly anonymous, you need to involve a third party.
  2.  A trust will work, as long as the trustee is a third party unrelated to the person requiring privacy.
  3.  If you use a trust this way and have a third party as the trustee, and plan to have the trustee resign in favor of the grantor/s, you still have issues with the assessor's office, as Megan points out above
  4.  An LLC with a third-party governor is the best bet. The names of the owners of the LLC/assets can be kept off the documents that are filed with the Secretary of State as long as the owners are not members or managers of the LLC.
  5.  Using the LLC plan, you can do an operating agreement (not filed) that explains the deal, so there is a contract of sorts in place to protect the owners.
  6.  Seems like using an attorney as the governor would also be a smart move, so that the governor is less likely to run off with the assets.
  7.  Finally, and critically, this only works if the client/s dot every I and cross every T. If they do all this, and then register to vote at the property address, or sign up for a credit card using that address, the whole house of cards will come down.

Hope this helps someone!

Sarah Jael Dion
PRINCIPAL
skellenger bender
TRUST AND ESTATE PRACTICE
Estate Planning | Probate

PHONE 206.623.6501 | FAX 206.447.1973
sdion at skellengerbender.com |<mailto:sdion at skellengerbender.com%20%7C>www.skellengerbender.com<http://www.skellengerbender.com/>
1301 Fifth Ave., Suite 3401 | Seattle, WA 98101