[WSBAPT] Purchasing property so it is hard to trace ownership

Sarah J. Dion SDion at skellengerbender.com
Mon Mar 15 15:43:20 PDT 2021

Hi all-

PC and spouse want to purchase real estate in such a way that it is difficult for anyone to determine ownership. In this situation, the privacy concern isn't paranoia--  there is a child and a no contact order with a dangerous individual, so it is critical that no one be able to search for their address using their names. They are part of a program in WA called Address Confidentiality.

The first thing I thought of is a revocable trust with a name that does not include PCs' names, but I am wondering if ultimately, the name of the trustee/s will need to be on any documents that are recorded. Does anyone know what the limitations on this process are? Ideally, neither of their names is on any documents that are searchable.

I would also love to know if there is any way to add a layer of protection to this to make it more difficult to trace without giving up control of the trust to a third party?

Thanks for any advice you have!

Sarah Jael Dion
PRINCIPAL
skellenger bender
TRUST AND ESTATE PRACTICE
Estate Planning | Probate

PHONE 206.623.6501 | FAX 206.447.1973
sdion at skellengerbender.com |<mailto:sdion at skellengerbender.com%20%7C>www.skellengerbender.com<http://www.skellengerbender.com/>
1301 Fifth Ave., Suite 3401 | Seattle, WA 98101
Pronouns:  she/her
NOTICE:  This communication and the information contained within, along with any items attached as an enclosure, are privileged and confidential.  This communication is intended solely for the use of the individual(s) named above.  If you are not one of the intended addresses or you believe you may have received this communication in error, you are hereby notified that any consideration, dissemination or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited.  In addition, you shall not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use this information in any form without first receiving specific written permission from the author of this communication.  If you have received this communication in error, please reply to the sender indicating that fact and delete this message from your system immediately.