[WSBAPT] Wrongful death proceeds / Duty to notify contingent beneficiaries?

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Mar 12 14:24:20 PST 2021

I can see an argument that estate administrative and SGAL expenses are, in fact, litigation expenses that are properly paid from WD proceeds. No estate means no litigation; litigation can only proceed if the PR is appointed and that has a cost. So long as the commissioner isn’t trying to pay creditor claims using WD funds, I would think this proper.

Again, though, I still don’t think there is a statutory mandate under RCW 11.28.237 to give notice to WD beneficiaries. There are certainly practical and other reasons to be in touch with WD benes on a regular basis, keep them informed, get their pre-agreement on settlement allocations, give them notice of SGAL reports and whatnot. Just no statutory requirement.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.