[WSBAPT] Probate notice to heirs

Meagan Rourke meagan at ostremlaw.com
Thu Mar 4 09:37:41 PST 2021

Seeking advice about providing notice of appointment to heirs who cannot be
located and might be incarcerated. Decedent died testate and the Will names
his son (our client) as Personal Representative. Decedent has two other
sons who are disinherited in the Will - Decedent had a restraining order
against them and our client believes that one or both of them might be
incarcerated. Our client is not in contact with his two brothers at all and
does not know their whereabouts.

We have searched for the brothers in the WA Department of Corrections, the
Federal Bureau of Prisons, and several of the County Jails, but neither of
them came up. We are not even sure if the brothers are in WA. What else do
we need to do in order to satisfy due diligence to locate the brothers to
send them notice of our client's appointment? Do a deeper inmate search and
publish notice of some sort? Use an heir search company? We have not
encountered this situation before, so any advice would be greatly
appreciated - thanks in advance!

Best regards,

*Meagan S. Rourke*

*Associate Attorney*

Ostrem Law, PLLC

8905 Roosevelt Way NE

Seattle, WA 98115

Phone:  (206) 906-9302

Fax:  (866) 444-8109

Email: meagan at ostremlaw.com

www.ostremlaw.com

*Notice:  This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you have received it in error, please advise the sender by
reply email and immediately delete the message and any attachments without
copying or disclosing the contents.  Thank you. *