[WSBAPT] EIN in wrong name

Amy Goertz amyjgoertz at icloud.com
Mon Jun 28 15:51:49 PDT 2021

Good Afternoon -

I have an estate in which the decedent changed her name about a year prior to her death.  I had no trouble opening a probate even though the Will was in her previous name and the case is captioned, “Estate of New Moniker, f/k/a (formerly known as) Old Name."

Even though she had a new social security card with New Moniker, when trying to get an EIN, the IRS system would not generate an EIN. When the Old Name was tried, an EIN issued.

The bank will not open an account in the name “Estate of New Moniker f/k/a Old Name.” They want to open it in Old Name with the EIN. They say they will not honor any checks made to New Moniker, which will be most of the assets.

Any suggestions?

Amy J. Goertz, J.D.
Goertz & Lambrecht PLLC
amyjgoertz at icloud.com <mailto:amyjgoertz at icloud.com>