[WSBAPT] Charity Distributions

John Creahan john at cairn-law.com
Fri Jun 18 15:03:39 PDT 2021

Hi Betsy,
I'm a little late to this so it may have already been resolved.
This situation seems strange to me, especially since Schwab has already disbursed funds to 5 of the 8 charities, but I have a couple of thoughts.
You said that the three remaining charities are Planned Parenthood, North City Helpline and The Nature Conservancy.
It may be that Planned Parenthood and the Nature Conservancy have both local and national chapters. If so, so it is possible that Schwab doesn't know which entity is the proper beneficiary. I don't know anything specifically about these organizations, but disputes between national and local chapters are not unusual. Do you know whether the decedent specifically identified where she wanted to money to go?
As for the third, there is a Seattle charity called North Helpline. If she named "North City Helpline" as a beneficiary, Schwab may need to confirm that she intended the bequest to go to North Helpline. (Just a guess.)
Unfortunately, I am not particularly surprised that the charities have not been diligent about resolving this issue. In my experience, many (most?) charities have overworked staffs and little or no experience dealing with probate issues and these types of gifts tend to fall off the radar.
Finally, it is admirable that your client wants to make sure that the funds are properly disbursed, but it appears to me that she has no role at this point and I'm not sure that Schwab would be willing to talk with her. Very frustrating.
I would recommend that the three charities jointly hire someone (an attorney or accountant perhaps) to spearhead getting these issues resolved. Often all it takes is getting someone to lead the charge.
Hope this helps,
John

John Creahan
www.cairn-law.com<http://www.cairn-law.com/>