[WSBAPT] Lack of probate affidavit question

Mark Vohr mcv at ohanafc.com
Thu Jun 17 09:45:28 PDT 2021

Suzanne – I’ll take a shot at this, but I can’t answer all of it.  If you have to open a probate in Washington, our courts handle ancillary probates exactly like a regular probate.  So, you should be able to avoid reopening the probate in CA to administer real property in Washington.  There should be a pretty efficient way to address the property in Washington if a probate is opened to allow the transfer to one sibling (e.g. TEDRA Agreement along with the Probate).

What I don’t know (an have never fully understood) is the efficacy of a lack of probate affidavit on transferring real estate in Washington.  It is my understanding that the fundamental question is whether or not a title company will recognize the transfer and issue insurance at a subsequent sale.  This is really a question for the real property attorneys (which I am not…) or a title company.  Hopefully one of these folks could chime in or post to the Real Property Probate and Trust List serve.

Regards,

Mark

Ohana Fiduciary Corp.
A Washington Trust Company
Mark C. Vohr, J.D., CPG, Principal
PO Box 33710  Seattle, WA  98133
T:  (206) 782-1189 F:  (206) 782-1434
mcv at ohanafc.com<mailto:mcv at ohanafc.com>      www.ohanafc.com<http://www.ohanafc.com/>

Click here<https://ohanafc.sharefile.com/r-r15ff53eeb574c7a9> to upload files.

CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

This communication may contain information that is confidential.  It was intended only for the named or a specific recipient.  If you have received this communication in error.  Please delete it immediately and contact the sender to advise them of improper delivery.

This communication is not intended to provide legal advice to the recipient.  The sender does not represent you as legal counsel and neither this communication or any conversations you may have with the sender creates an attorney client relationship with the sender.  If you seek legal advice please retain an attorney, but it will be someone else.