[WSBAPT] Charity Distributions

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Wed Jun 16 11:30:29 PDT 2021

Betsy,

If it were me, I would rally the 3 charities to send a joint letter indicating that they expect payment by Date X and they should be advised of any paperwork needed to carry out the proper distribution.  I would then add if Date X comes and goes the charities will have no choice but to ask the court to intervene.

It sounds like the SuperWill statute was utilized in the Will (although I don’t have all the facts as to timing etc.) and Schwab should recognize that.  These charities all have legal departments or could easily work with you – these larger financial institutions are often going rouge and I personally am starting to believe it is either incompetence or bad faith – neither of which are good.

I am not sure she has standing to enforce payment at this point (although maybe she retains standing because she worked with Schwab to a large degree); to claim the funds in the superior court (if it gets that far) the charities will have to be involved, so I’d call them in  now.

Just an off the cuff response 😉

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden