[WSBAPT] passing of a friend with no family ties

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Jun 4 09:58:33 PDT 2021

The right to control disposition of remains is under RCW 68.50.160<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=68.50.160>. The key is subsection (5), which gives the funeral home or the ME authority to act on instructions of "the most responsible party available" if there are no ascertainable relatives available named under subsection (3). But in my experience some MEs and funeral homes are reluctant to rely on (5).

Ordinarily the PR is not part of the decision regarding disposition, unless that authority is stated in a Will. For intestacy, I haven't done this myself yet, but you might consider including in the petition for appointment a recital that none of the persons under RCW 68.50.160(3) have been located, and accordingly the PR requests that the Court expressly authorize them to make disposition of the remains if the ME has not found a relative. That might reassure the ME sufficient to allow the PR to act.

Re death cert, you don't absolutely need one. I don't file them myself. When the court has demanded more proof (beyond the verified petition itself, which is evidence under oath, alleging death of the decedent), I have included statements confirming that, for example, a death notice or obituary was published in such-and-such paper and online at [website address]; or I have personally contacted funeral home X and they verified they have custody of the remains.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.