[WSBAPT] Homeless Beneficiary

Jennifer L White jen at appletreelaw.com
Tue Jun 1 14:22:32 PDT 2021

No perfect answer, but here are a few suggestions to consider:

  *   Does anyone in the family have some way to get ahold of him? If so, ask that person to get you an address for where he wants his $ sent. Send him the Notice along with a check for $100. It will cost the estate at least that much to hire someone to look for him, and if he cashes it, then you know he got the notice and his distribution. Consider the canceled check as the receipt for distribution. Put “full and final distribution” in the memo line.  If you only send $1 then it might not be enough for him to bother figuring out how to cash it and you still have the mystery of whether you located him for giving Notice. You could send a cover letter, receipt and SASE with the check, but if he’s homeless then I wouldn’t hold my breath on getting it back.
  *   Have you tried looking him up on Facebook? I have found people that way and sent them a PM. Since I’m not family, i.e. neutral judgment free party, I’ve gotten responses back and gone from there.
  *   Hire an heir search firm/private investigator. Northwest Investigative Services has done a great job for me over the years:
  *   Northwest Investigative Services, Inc.
                   PO Box 8273
              Bonney Lake, WA 98391

      Phone: (253) 631-4144
      Toll Free Phone: (800) 488-4612