[WSBAPT] Community Property Agreement - Timing of Effectiveness

David Moe davidmoe at maplevalleylaw.com
Tue Jul 27 14:40:32 PDT 2021

This awesome discussion has given me pause-and has led me "go back to school" on use of community property survivorship agreements.  I found these articles:
Our Greatest Hits | Community property step-up in basis - The CPA Journal<https://www.cpajournal.com/2017/08/18/greatest-hits-community-property-step-basis/> (Aug 2017) and
Section 1014(b)(6) and the Boundaries of Community Property (unlv.edu)<https://scholars.law.unlv.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=&httpsredir=1&article=1356&context=nlj>

Basis step-up issues aside, for the surviving spouse of a youngish couple with surviving minor children, having a comprehensive community property agreement can obviate the statutory requirement for appointment of a guardian ad litem for the minor(s) in probate under RCW 11.76.080(2) where each minor is a child of the decedent and of the surviving spouse and where in a testate estate the surviving spouse if sole beneficiary under decedent's Will.

David Moe Attorney, P.S.
Telephone:  425-432-1277
Fax:  425-432-1280
23745 225th Way SE, Suite 108
Maple Valley, WA 98038

Email:  davidmoe at maplevalleylaw.com<mailto:davidmoe at maplevalleylaw.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:   This communication is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify this firm immediately by collect call (425)-432-1277, or by reply to this communication.