[WSBAPT] Community Property Agreement - Timing of Effectiveness

J A Cyphers jacyphers at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 14:43:24 PDT 2021

 IRC Section 1014(e) prohibits a step up in basis in regards to appreciated
property that was acquired by the decedent via a gift within one year of
their death.
If the assets are all community property, this would have no effect  But if
the effect of the community property agreement would be to convert separate
property to community property, then this statute prevents a step up in
basis .
So if husband has separate property, wife dies, and a community property
agreement converts husband's property to community property at wife's
death, the converted separate property does not get a step up in basis
because wife received it by the community property agreement - presumably a
gift - within one year of death.