[WSBAPT] Collection Bills Handled as Creditor's Claim?

Heather de Vrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Thu Jul 22 12:57:59 PDT 2021

Every such bill that is received prior to the end of the claim period should be evaluated to insure that the original creditor received notice. A bill from a collection company is not a claim, and is not required to be paid by the Personal Representative. Sometimes I reply to these bills directly with a letter along the lines of “your client received formal notice of their rights under Washington law and their options if they wanted to be paid. A copy of that notice is enclosed.”

It doesn’t mean the Personal Representative can’t pay these, but they are only obligated to pay (or negotiate or reject) claims which are properly and timely submitted.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D77EF9.3133E500]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

For the months of July and August 2021, our firm will be open Monday through Thursday 8:30am to 5pm. We will be closed Fridays.

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.