[WSBAPT] Planning Opportunity?

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Thu Jul 22 07:10:47 PDT 2021

I’m considering a situation in which the surviving spouse (the one doing the planning now who is not incapacitated) does not survive the incapacitated spouse by 120 hours (5 days).

I did not carefully research the issue before offering the idea via email, so if I’m wrong here, I trust someone can correct me. But I cannot think of a reason the 120-hour survivorship statute should not apply even in this situation. See RCW 11.05A, linked here: https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.05A&full=true - and sub .040 in particular.

So, if even spouses must survive 120 hours to take under intestacy, which I’ve always understood they must, then my point is not to wait 5+ days to sign these papers — because if surviving spouse dies 121 hours after the first spouse, she/he will have inherited the entire estate (at hour 120) — and then will die with a taxable estate.

Best, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC
537 6th Street