[WSBAPT] Intestate estate with husband whereabouts unknown / won't disclose

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Jul 15 14:37:40 PDT 2021

No option for publication but I think I would include in the petition a recital that the spouse is in touch by phone but actively refuses to provide a mailing address. Then perhaps "serve" by text if possible, at least a notice of the date/time/place of the hearing and that it is to appoint daughter as administrator of the estate, and maybe call and leave a voicemail or tell him directly about the hearing and document that with a Declaration of "Communication with Surviving Spouse" (since it's not really service).

My thought is that "reasonable diligence" is all that is required of a petitioner, in efforts to provide notice to heirs. An heir who actively declines to provide an address for service pretty much estops themselves from arguing that a lack of notice is due to the PR's lack of reasonable diligence.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.