[WSBAPT] Will/CPA

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Wed Jul 14 07:20:54 PDT 2021

Sarah,

I agree with the contract conclusion and that it isn’t a take it or leave it tool.  That was said much better than my post stating that the CPA trumps the Will.  Trump may have been a bad word.  Because it’s a contract that takes effect on a death of one person there is nothing in the probate estate unless it is a CPA that only goes to character of property (not how it vests).  I rarely see these.

I have been using CPAs for certain plans (all goes to first spouse on death) and where Medicaid qualification is unlikely (due to pension/ss or whatever) or where the parties acknowledge they want to use all their funds as they  have for their best care and Medicaid only if absolutely necessary.  With that being said, the some comments here certainly have given me food for thought.

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden
717 W. Sprague Ave.