[WSBAPT] DNA to prove paternity with deceased

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Mon Jul 12 15:09:09 PDT 2021

It's covered in Ch. 26.26A RCW<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=26.26A&full=true>. See RCW 26.26A.345<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=26.26A&full=true#26.26A.345>. If father has been cremated, they can do comparative testing of a near relative in order to get some kind of evidence yea or nay. Re significance of birth certificate info, see RCW 26.26A.100<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=26.26A&full=true#26.26A.100> and RCW 26.26A.115<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=26.26A&full=true#26.26A.115> as the starting point-lots of references to other sections of the Act.

>From the Estate perspective, I think this is all a judgment call for the PR, because it's the PR's job to determine who is entitled to the benefits. The PR should review available evidence and circumstances and decide whether the PR will concede that a child is a child of the decedent. If the PR does not concede, then the PR needs to decide whether to (1) affirmatively assert that the child is not an heir/beneficiary, in which case the burden and expense of proving parentage falls on the child; or (2) take steps to resolve paternity, probably by asking the court for authorization to spend estate funds on genetic testing.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.