[WSBAPT] Application of RCW 11.12.095 (Omitted Spouse) to a RLT

Jennifer L White jen at appletreelaw.com
Fri Jul 2 09:44:01 PDT 2021

Is there any language in the Trust that would provide for post-death amendment or revocation? Is there by chance a power of appointment? Any way to get rid of it after the fact?
Any arguments that could be made that there was some kind of a writing by decedent that she would want her child to inherit from her that could be used in a TEDRA petition (see below)?

RCW 11.103.030<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.103.030>
Revocation or amendment. (Effective until January 1, 2022.)
(1) Unless the terms of a trust expressly provide that the trust is revocable, the trustor may not revoke or amend the trust.
(2) If a revocable trust is created or funded by more than one trustor and unless the trust agreement provides otherwise:
(a) To the extent the trust consists of community property, the trust may be revoked by either spouse or either domestic partner acting alone but may be amended only by joint action of both spouses or both domestic partners;
(b) To the extent the trust consists of property other than community property, each trustor may revoke or amend the trust with regard to the portion of the trust property attributable to that trustor's contribution;
(c) The character of community property or separate property is unaffected by its transfer to and from a revocable trust; and
(d) Upon the revocation or amendment of the trust by fewer than all of the trustors, the trustee must promptly notify the other trustors of the revocation or amendment.
(3) The trustor may revoke or amend a revocable trust:
(a) By substantial compliance with a method provided in the terms of the trust; or
(b)(i) If the terms of the trust do not provide a method or the method provided in the terms is not expressly made exclusive, by:
(A) A later will or codicil that expressly refers to the trust or specifically devises property that would otherwise have passed according to the terms of the trust; or
(B) A written instrument signed by the trustor evidencing intent to revoke or amend.
(ii) The requirements of chapter 11.11<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.11> RCW do not apply to revocation or amendment of a revocable trust under (b)(i) of this subsection.
(4) Upon revocation of a revocable trust, the trustee must deliver the trust property as the trustor directs.
(5) A trustor's powers with respect to the revocation or amendment of a trust or distribution of the property of a trust may be exercised by the trustor's agent under a power of attorney only to the extent specified in the power of attorney document, as provided in RCW 11.125.240<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.125.240> and to the extent consistent with or expressly authorized by the trust agreement.
(6) A guardian of the trustor may exercise a trustor's powers with respect to revocation, amendment, or distribution of trust property only with the approval of the court supervising the guardianship pursuant to *RCW 11.92.140<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.92.140>.
(7) A trustee who does not know that a trust has been revoked or amended is not liable to the trustor or trustor's successors in interest for distributions made and other actions taken on the assumption that the trust had not been amended or revoked.
(8) This section does not limit or affect operation of RCW 11.96A.220<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.96A.220> through 11.96A.240<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.96A.240>.

Jennifer L. White, Esq.
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D76F24.1686D580]

jen at appletreelaw.com<mailto:jen at appletreelaw.com>
PO Box 11037