[WSBAPT] Setting up credit trust long after Spouse passes

John J. Sullivan sullaw at comcast.net
Tue Jan 12 10:00:13 PST 2021

Jeff:

That “may” is not a word I ever would insert there.

I had one case about ten years ago now. I had done an RLT around 2000. Wife died a couple of years later. At the time mandatory splits hadn’t been replaced completely with disclaimer designs.

Shortly after the first death the SS and I assembled my usual spreadsheet, choosing which assets to allocate to each side. But we didn’t follow through with retooling, or funding, the CST.

Many years later SS had an auto accident with an attorney on a motorcycle and was sued. We were able to persuade the court the assets identified on the spreadsheet as allocated to the CST were beyond its reach because the CST had a constructive trust interest over those assets. We also had SS resign and son replace him as trustee.

But that was a mandatory split situation. Is the trustee someone other than the SS?

John Sullivan

Sent from my iPhone