[WSBAPT] Special needs questions

Jane Bitz jbitz at whc-attorneys.com
Tue Jan 5 17:28:07 PST 2021

Suzanne:

I don’t generally practice in Social Security Disability law, but a quick google search found: “If you are receiving disability benefits under your parent's work record as an adult child, getting married will usually cause your SSDI benefits to stop. But if you marry a person with disabilities who is also receiving Social Security benefits, you may not lose your benefits when you get married.” I would recommend engaging an attorney familiar with Social Security benefits to advise the client.

Does the daughter have a Court appointed Guardian of the Person and/or Estate? If so, the right to marry may have been affected by the appointment of the Guardian. You should review the Order Appointing Guardian. The marriage will not “automatically” replace a Court appointed Guardian. A Petition would have to be filed to modify the Guardianship and the new husband would have to qualify as a lay Guardian by taking the required training etc. A Guardian ad Litem may have to be appointed to evaluate and advise the Court whether or not the husband is an appropriate Guardian. One option for the parent guardian would be to name the new spouse as Stand-by Guardian in case the parent is unable to continue as Guardian in the future.

The Guardian can serve from out of State and direct local individuals to assist the Ward with medical appointments, etc.

Sorry I could not be of more help with the Social Security issues.

Jane Bitz.

Jane G. Bitz
Of Counsel
Wolff, Hislop & Crockett, PLLC
12209 E. Mission Ave, Suite 5
Spokane Valley, WA 99206-4824
(509) 927-9700 x126
FAX: (509) 777-1800

[image001 (4)][cid:image003.png at 01D6E388.1EB3B700][cid:image004.jpg at 01D6E387.839A5CB0]
THE CONTENTS OF THIS ELECTRONIC MAIL ARE CONFIDENTIAL AND PROTECTED BY THE ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGE OR OTHER APPLICABLE PROTECTION.  Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this electronic mail in error, PLEASE NOTIFY ME BY E-MAIL, FAX OR TELEPHONE and PROMPTLY DELETE this electronic mail.  This mail cannot be modified without express written consent of Wolff, Hislop & Crockett, PLLC.  Thank You.