[WSBAPT] Death of beneficiary pending probate administration, with medicaid wrinkle

Sarah McCarthy sarah at kawlawyers.com
Fri Feb 19 11:48:00 PST 2021

Heather, yes, your input sounds exactly right to me, too. I wouldn't advise
my client as PR of mom's estate to simply distribute a share to the
beneficiary we "think" is the correct legal heir of the beneficiary's
estate. I think notice to DSHS is going to be necessary whether it's a
small estate affidavit or a probate.

As to the survivorship question that was raised -- I should have mentioned
in my original email that the son died about 9 months after mom, so
definitely was a "survivor" under both the Will and the statute.

*Sarah O’Farrell McCarthy*

*(Pronouns: she / her)*Attorney | Kelly, Arndt & Walker, Attorneys at Law,
PLLP
6443 Harding Avenue | P.O. Box 290 | Clinton, WA  98236

(Located on Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington)
Phone: (360) 341-1515 | Fax: (360) 341-3272
sarah at kawlawyers.com | www.kawlawyers.com

This electronic message transmission contains information from the law firm
of Kelly, Arndt & Walker, PLLP which may be confidential or privileged.
This information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity
named above,  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
further review, disclosure, printing, copying, distribution, or use of the
contents of this transmission is prohibited. If you have received this
electronic message transmission in error, please notify us immediately by
reply e-mail and delete the original message.  Thank you.

We do not accept service of any kind by e-mail unless expressly authorized
in writing by the attorney of record.  This e-mail is NOT a contract and is
not binding upon the author pursuant to CR 2A. This e-mail is, at most, a
negotiation under ER 408.