[WSBAPT] Special Needs Trusts and Real Property

Dewey Weddle DWWeddle at msn.com
Wed Feb 17 13:47:45 PST 2021

Esteemed colleagues:

Can a Special Needs Trust hold title to real property?

I have never had this question come up, but I think I read or heard somewhere that this is not possible.  My research indicates that it is possible, but not advisable for a self-settled SNT because of the possibility of Medicaid reimbursement after death of beneficiary.  The SNT in question is a testamentary SNT, so that is not an issue.  Can a disabled adult receive real property from a deceased relative and have it titled in the name of the SNT?  I should know the answer to this question off the top of my head, but I don't, so I am going to blame it on Covid induced something or other.

Best,

Dewey

Law Office of Dewey W. Weddle, PLLC

909 7th Street