[WSBAPT] Wash Estate Tax - Credit Shelter Trust Wills

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Wed Feb 3 09:03:11 PST 2021

Joshua,

Washington State only includes the full value of a QTIP trust in it’s WAC calculation of the second to die.  If it is a true credit shelter trust for federal, it should be in the estate of the second to die.  With that being said,  it is possible where the first spouse dies and the federal credit shelter is funded in a greater amount then the state exemption so a tax is due on the first death or a partial QTIP election has to be made to cover the overage.

If you read WAC 458-57-115  you will see that the calculation would not pull back in a Federal Credit Shelter trust.  I think what you have heard is that the QTIP property gets pulled in – that is why, under current fed/state exemptions it is important to consider having a 100% QTIP for Federal (if you want second step up) but 0% for state and use the state exemption in full.  It’s complicated but I have worked under QTIP Fed no state on a couple of occasions – so far so good.  Of course the second spouse is still living 😉

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden
717 W. Sprague Ave.