[WSBAPT] 401K to pay off mortgage at death

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Thu Dec 16 08:39:11 PST 2021

Jennifer, I would second Heather’s sentiments but add that before I made my the estate the payee, if the goal is truly to pay off the mortgage, then a testamentary trust should be established to receive the houses and the funds – in this way the other general creditor’s won’t have a crack at those funds.  You see, if you make it payable to the estate, those funds are available to general creditors and you may wind up with the mortgage and those funds spent elsewhere.  Happy to chat with you over the weekend if you want to walk through some thoughts – I know saying things out loud can help sometimes.

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden
717 W. Sprague Ave.