[WSBAPT] GAL for minor heir

Shannon Jones shannonj at campbellbarnettlaw.com
Wed Dec 1 08:46:21 PST 2021

Listmates, A minor child's father has died. Father's second wife probated Will that leaves basically nothing to child. Second wife is non-intervention PR and did not seek appointment of a GAL for minor. Probate is still pending and there is sufficient time to seek a family support award plus other relief for the child based on a contract his father made with stepmother to pay for the child's post-secondary education.  Is the first step appointment of a GAL for the minor child? What is the statute for a probate GAL to be appointed? The child's surviving parent has retained me to file a petition on behalf of child, but if a GAL were appointed, I think it would be done for the child by the GAL and perhaps on the estate's dime - Shannon

[cid:image001.png at 01D7E68F.E9DB8AB0]
Shannon R. Jones | Attorney
Campbell Barnett PLLC
P: 253.848.3513| F: 253.845.4941
317 South Meridian
Puyallup, WA 98371
shannonj at campbellbarnettlaw.com<mailto:shannonj at campbellbarnettlaw.com>
campbellbarnettlaw.com<https://campbellbarnettlaw.com/>

This transmission contains confidential attorney-client communications and may not be disclosed to any person but the intended recipient(s).  If this matter is transmitted to you in error, please delete and notify the sender immediately.