[WSBAPT] Death of Non-Custodial Parent

Jennifer L White jen at appletreelaw.com
Mon Aug 30 13:17:50 PDT 2021

Brent,
Unless the Decree/Support Order states otherwise, the obligation to pay ends at death:
RCW 26.09.170<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=26.09.170>
Modification of decree for maintenance or support, property disposition—Termination of maintenance obligation and child support—Grounds. (Effective February 1, 2021.)
(1) Except as otherwise provided in RCW 26.09.070<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=26.09.070>(7), the provisions of any decree respecting maintenance or support may be modified: (a) Only as to installments accruing subsequent to the petition for modification or motion for adjustment except motions to compel court-ordered adjustments, which shall be effective as of the first date specified in the decree for implementing the adjustment; and, (b) except as otherwise provided in this section, only upon a showing of a substantial change of circumstances. The provisions as to property disposition may not be revoked or modified, unless the court finds the existence of conditions that justify the reopening of a judgment under the laws of this state.
(2) Unless otherwise agreed in writing or expressly provided in the decree the obligation to pay future maintenance is terminated upon the death of either party or the remarriage of the party receiving maintenance or registration of a new domestic partnership of the party receiving maintenance.
(3) Unless otherwise agreed in writing or expressly provided in the decree, provisions for the support of a child are terminated by emancipation of the child or by the death of the person required to pay support for the child.

Jennifer L. White, Esq.
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D79DA1.52915270]

jen at appletreelaw.com<mailto:jen at appletreelaw.com>
PO Box 11037