[WSBAPT] giving surviving spouse in 2nd marriage right to live in house for life

Mike Zeno mikez at zenolawfirm.com
Thu Aug 26 14:02:07 PDT 2021

Dear all:

I have a situation which I'm sure is pretty common, but which I have never had to deal with   Second marriage.  Wife wants husband to be able to stay in her house after she dies, with her son (from prior marriage) to receive the property after surviving husband's interest terminates.  Marriage is solid, everyone gets along great.

Let's assume the wife intends for the surviving husband's interest to terminate if he moves out or sells the property, and that upon sale she would want her son to receive all the proceeds.  Maybe there would be other conditions-such as that the husband's interest would terminate if he remarries...

I 'm inclined to avoid giving the husband any interest in the property before wife's death, because that's not really how the parties conceive their interests.

What is the best way to structure this?  The wife's Will could create a conditional life estate in the husband (ie, conditioned on his continued residence there, etc.) but I'm wary of creating estates in real property that are defeasible and atypical.  It may be that some sort of trust would be better-but what would its features be?  Would capital gains exclusion for residence sales apply if surviving spouse sold the house?  Other tax issues?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike

The Law Office of G. Michael Zeno, Jr., P.S.
T:  (425) 947-8050   F:  (425) 947-8052
135 Lake Street S., Suite 257
Kirkland, WA 98033

Confidential/Privileged Communication: This email and any attachments are confidential, privileged and intended only for the intended recipient(s).  Unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this email is prohibited.  If you received this email in error, please notify me immediately so we can arrange for the message and documents to be returned and deleted. Thank you.
IRS Circular 230 Disclaimer: Any tax advice provided in this communication (including attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used, by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction.  You should seek advice based on your particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor.