[WSBAPT] will w/ blank affidavit

David Faber david at faberfeinson.com
Thu Aug 26 10:43:39 PDT 2021

Check out RCW 11.20.040:
https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=11.20.040

I had to use 11.20.040 in one probate where the Will was from the 70s, both
witnesses were deceased, and the witnesses (despite one being an attorney)
failed to execute a self-proving affidavit. I succeeded in submitting the
Will to probate by having one of the decedent's children sign an affidavit
stating that the handwriting of the Decedent appeared valid and that the
signatures of the witnesses appeared valid, too. Your mileage may vary,
particularly if you have to fight off a challenge to the probate of the
Will, and the Court might force you to provide notice to all heirs-at-law
if not all of them are beneficiary of the purported Will so that they have
a chance to counter your client's allegations of validity, but it should
get you through the door.

Best,
David J. Faber
Faber Feinson PLLC
800 Polk Street, Suite B
Port Townsend, WA 98368
(360) 379-4110

*** NOTICE: ATTORNEY CLIENT COMMUNICATION - PRIVILEGED & CONFIDENTIAL.
This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that
you have received this communication in error, please do not print,
copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also,
please indicate to the sender that you have received this communication in
error, and destroy the copy you received.***