[WSBAPT] Wrongful Death proceeds payment to Chinese beneficiaries

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Wed Aug 25 19:40:45 PDT 2021

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

                                                  August 25, 2021

Eric

I had a wrongful death case last year involving one Colombian citizen
living in Colombia. The only other beneficiary was here in the U.S.
(not in Washington).

The actual transfer of the money was really super simple. I walked
downstairs to my bank, gave them the beneficiaries bank info and
signed a little piece of paper for a wire transfer and voila!

I told my bank that any wire fees had to come out of the funds being
transferred (and that was also included in the agreement between the
parties as to how much each was to receive). In the end, the wire
transfer fee- which would have been $40.00--  was waived by the bank
because the funds came out of an IOLTA trust account.

In my case we had both a survival claims and wrongful death. Since the
two beneficiaries (both parents of the adult deceased child) were not
similarly situated – the beneficiaries first reached an agreement on
the distribution and we filed a TEDRA agreement.

I took vigorous steps to try to figure out whether or not there should
be a tax obligation in any country, or fees etc, for the transfer of
the funds out of the country or upon entering the foreign
jurisdiction, etc. So, although I tried to inform myself (in addition
to researching- I badgered this list serve with many, many questions-
this listserve is a real godsend…) I also directed the PR and
beneficiaries to consult with their own accountants, etc. , and also
directed the beneficiaries to secure legal counsel to make sure they
understood the legal import of everything they agreed to and signed.
I also required all documents signed (by Colombian beneficiary) to be
translated by a certified translator.

My concern was that 1) I have no liability if someone didn’t pay taxes
and the IRS or foreign entity looked to the PR, and then the PR looked
to me. So, the TEDRA recited each parties’ opportunity to consult with
a lawyer, and holding me and PR harmless of any taxes, fees, etc. that
might be imposed or charged, etc.

I never dealt with the Colombian lawyer but his office prepared all
the certified translations, etc. In your case, since there are 3
foreign beneficiaries, it would be a lot easier to deal with a lawyer.
If the beneficiaries are minors, they presumably need to be represented.

 andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101
206-224-8288
www.seattle-silvalaw.com

Links:
------
[1] http://www.glglawgroup.com/
[2]
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.superlawyers.com_redir-3Fr-3Dhttp-3A__www.superlawyers.com_washington_lawyer_Gary-2DManca_ca059d21-2D1b6e-2D4fca-2Db396-2D80c253f82402.html-26c-3Demail-5FSmall-5Fbadge-26i-3Dca059d21-2D1b6e-2D4fca-2Db396-2D80c253f82402&d=DwMGaQ&c=4VfW4Y7UDKzr0jHM1Tk29w&r=wJy-5dBh2e8cdp8KTDyWsjq7WPfG_HRNpImWO5yfs2A&m=FCmO2jSMMhwxfYb-8WN5A3L-M6GKeJ_8gc6cS3vECHM&s=z2j9M4GPJAL7pempIOe0TGAPkMWrzXJSlY1lyMRDlRg&e=