[WSBAPT] WSBAPT Digest, Vol 83, Issue 39 Wrongful Death proceeds payment to Chinese

Wang, Yuping yupingwang at dwt.com
Wed Aug 25 15:45:56 PDT 2021

Hi Eric

(a) transferring funds to beneficiaries in China is not complicated.  The beneficiaries can open US$ bank accounts in China at any China banks.  You can wire money to that bank accounts from the US.  China's foreign exchange control rules limit the beneficiaries' right to exchange the US$ into RMB, but this is not your problem.  Fyi, if the fund is more than US$ 50,000, the beneficiaries may ask you to wire in installments to reduce the amount of each installment to be below US$ 50,000.  Whether to agree or not, it is the call of the PR.  Even if the PR does not agree to wire in installments, the fund still belongs to the beneficiaries (China's foreign exchange control rules limit the right to convert the fund, do not limit the ownership of the fund), they can convert the US$ into RMB next year as each person got a fresh new quote each year.

(b)  I do not know the answer. Just certain information:  China and US have a tax treaty ( https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/china.pdf ) which does not specifically mention wrongful death compensation.  Per Art 21 (other income), if the compensation is treated as "income" under the treaty, it seems the compensation received by the beneficiaries shall be taxable in China.  Fyi, under the Chinese income tax laws, it is likely the compensation received by the beneficiaries is income-tax-free (China has no gift tax).   To be prudent, the PR may withhold certain taxes, the CPA can file a tax return to get it back later-on.

Yuping Wang | Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
920 Fifth Avenue, Suite 3300 | Seattle, WA 98104
Tel: (206) 757-8348 | Fax: (206) 757-7167
Email: yupingwang at dwt.com<mailto:yupingwang at dwt.com> | Website: www.dwt.com<http://www.dwt.com/>

Anchorage | Bellevue | Los Angeles | New York | Portland | San Francisco | Seattle | | Washington, D.C.

Message: 12