[WSBAPT] Non-Probate Property Transfer

Amy Goertz amyjgoertz at icloud.com
Wed Apr 21 16:14:58 PDT 2021

Hello, learned property folks -

Wondering how best to accomplish a property transfer based on the following:

2005 Decedent drafts Will. I do not have this Will.

2006 Decedent drafts Codicil. Codicil lays out fact pattern that states decedent let nephew use her name and good credit to buy a house in Spokane (she lived there with him) and that he paid for everything and upon her death, any interest she has in the house goes to nephew.

2007 Decedent moves out of state with daughter and drafts new Will that revokes Codicil. 2007 Will leaves all to son and daughter equally.

2020 Decedent dies due to corona virus. Original 2007 Will is now lost. There is no probate and no assets other than the house in Spokane in mom’s name for which nephew made all financial contributions.

Son and daughter are familiar with facts and willing to sign documents as necessary to transfer any interest to nephew (their cousin).

I would very much appreciate your thoughts and input as to the best and most streamlined mechanism to get the house into the nephew’s name.

Amy

Amy J. Goertz, J.D.
Goertz & Lambrecht PLLC
amyjgoertz at icloud.com <mailto:amyjgoertz at icloud.com>