[WSBAPT] Power of Attorney Agents Picking Successor Agents

Sarah McCarthy sarah at kawlawyers.com
Mon Apr 19 14:54:41 PDT 2021

I had a client request this once, and upon review of the statute I
discovered that this is specifically permitted:

RCW 11.125.110 <http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.125.110>
Coagents—Successor agents—Liability.
(1) A principal may designate in a power of attorney two or more persons to
act as coagents. Unless the power of attorney otherwise provides, all
coagents must exercise their authority jointly; provided, however, a
coagent may delegate that coagent's authority to another coagent.
(2) A principal may designate one or more successor agents to act if an
agent resigns, dies, becomes incapacitated, is not qualified to serve, or
declines to serve. *A principal may grant authority to designate one or
more successor agents to an agent or other person designated by name,
office, or function.* Unless the power of attorney otherwise provides, a
successor agent:
(a) Has the same authority as that granted to the original agent; and
(b) May not act until all predecessor agents have resigned, died, become
incapacitated, are no longer qualified to serve, or have declined to serve.
(3) Except as otherwise provided in the power of attorney and subsection
(4) of this section, an agent that does not participate in or conceal a
breach of fiduciary duty committed by another agent, including a
predecessor agent, is not liable for the actions of the other agent.
(4) An agent that has actual knowledge of a breach or imminent breach of
fiduciary duty by another agent shall notify the principal and, if the
principal is incapacitated, take any action reasonably appropriate in the
circumstances to safeguard the principal's best interest. An agent that
fails to notify the principal or take action as required by this subsection
is liable for the reasonably foreseeable damages that could have been
avoided if the agent had notified the principal or taken such action.
[ 2016 c 209 § 111
<http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/Session%20Laws/Senate/5635-S.SL.pdf?cite=2016%20c%20209%20%C2%A7%20111>
.]

*Sarah O’Farrell McCarthy*

*(Pronouns: she / her)*Attorney | Kelly, Arndt & Walker, Attorneys at Law,
PLLP
6443 Harding Avenue | P.O. Box 290 | Clinton, WA  98236

(Located on Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington)
Phone: (360) 341-1515 | Fax: (360) 341-3272
sarah at kawlawyers.com | www.kawlawyers.com

This electronic message transmission contains information from the law firm
of Kelly, Arndt & Walker, PLLP which may be confidential or privileged.
This information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity
named above,  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
further review, disclosure, printing, copying, distribution, or use of the
contents of this transmission is prohibited. If you have received this
electronic message transmission in error, please notify us immediately by
reply e-mail and delete the original message.  Thank you.

We do not accept service of any kind by e-mail unless expressly authorized
in writing by the attorney of record.  This e-mail is NOT a contract and is
not binding upon the author pursuant to CR 2A. This e-mail is, at most, a
negotiation under ER 408.