[WSBAPT] probating Will w Testamentary trust

Cyrus Field cyfield at rockisland.com
Mon Apr 5 11:27:56 PDT 2021

Thanks Phil. The trust for child is a testamentary trust. The parent’s RLT appears to be well funded and pours over child’s share to testamentary trust (e.g. backwards from the usual scheme). No apparent other assets  to probate.  I suspect drafting attorney confused requirements for SNT for surviving spouse (which needs to be testamentary according to the rules but otherwise seems illogical to me) with that of discretionary 3rd party trust for benefit of non-spouse (which can be either testamentary or inter vivos).

I’d heard of attorneys drafting pour over trusts to fund testamentary SNT for spouse for those couples who’d moved from probate adverse states with fully funded RLTs. However, I wasn’t sure of the mechanics of actually establishing/funding the testamentary trust (i.e whether filing Will was enough). Thinking out loud, if there are no probate assets, or a WD claim,  I am not sure there is even subject matter jurisdiction for a probate proceeding. Thanks again for your thoughts, Cy

Cyrus W. Field, Attorney at Law (admitted in Washington and Oregon)

phone: 360-472-1223 Mail: POB 367, Shaw Island, WA 98286 Office: 640 Mullis St. Friday Harbor, WA

The information contained in this e-mail message, including attachments, may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited. If you think you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender at cyfield at rockisland.com and destroy or delete the original and any copies.