[WSBAPT] Question about senior property tax exemption where beneficiary has a life estate.

David Moe davidmoe at maplevalleylaw.com
Thu Apr 1 18:02:03 PDT 2021

Yes, life estate can work.  See link:
Property Tax Exemption for Senior Citizens and People with Disabilities (wa.gov)<https://dor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/legacy/Docs/Pubs/Prop_Tax/PT_Senior_Exempt_202010.pdf>

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com <wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com> On Behalf Of Karl Flaccus
Sent: Thursday, April 1, 2021 5:30 PM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
Subject: [WSBAPT] Question about senior property tax exemption where beneficiary has a life estate.

As part of a probate matter, client received a life estate in a condo in which he is obligated to pay taxes, insurance, etc.  He is a low income senior, and the question arises whether he will qualify for a real property senior exemption from paying property taxes where his ownership is for his life. I would think it would qualify, but I see nothing on the website that addresses the issue, and an emailed question got an answer concerning a trust, and not specifically a life estate.

Thank you.

Karl

FLACCUS LAW
7010 35th Ave. N.E.
Seattle, Washington  98115
206 523-0297

Information in this e-mail message is privileged, confidential, and intended only for the use of the recipient named. If you received this in error, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited - please notify us by telephone immediately at (206) 523-0297, and delete the original message. Thank you.