[WSBAPT] Release copy of Will of Deceased Client

Mark Vohr mcv at ohanafc.com
Thu Apr 1 12:59:14 PDT 2021

Sarah -

            I understand Washington law to be clear that the file of  a deceased client, including subsequently revoked wills are subject to the attorney client privilege.   There are certain exceptions worthy of note, see RCW  11.12.265 and RCW 11.20.010.   Otherwise, only the PR can waive the privilege, although in the context or a will contest I believe the court can as well.

            Since revoked wills are generally an issue in a will contest, it is pretty routine, at least in my experience, that the court will authorize their release.  So much so that in most instances the PR, with the advice of counsel, will simply stipulate to the release thereby saving the hassle and expense of going to court, where it is likely the will ends up being released.  I would, however, be careful not to open up your file without authorization.

Regards,

Mark

Ohana Fiduciary Corp.
A Washington Trust Company
Mark C. Vohr, J.D., CPG, Principal
PO Box 33710  Seattle, WA  98133
T:  (206) 782-1189 F:  (206) 782-1434
mcv at ohanafc.com<mailto:mcv at ohanafc.com>      www.ohanafc.com<http://www.ohanafc.com/>

Click here<https://ohanafc.sharefile.com/r-r15ff53eeb574c7a9> to upload files.

CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

This communication may contain information that is confidential.  It was intended only for the named or a specific recipient.  If you have received this communication in error.  Please delete it immediately and contact the sender to advise them of improper delivery.

This communication is not intended to provide legal advice to the recipient.  The sender does not represent you as legal counsel and neither this communication or any conversations you may have with the sender creates an attorney client relationship with the sender.  If you seek legal advice please retain an attorney, but it will be someone else.