[WSBAPT] Advance Health Care Directive contingent on spouse being unavailable?

Laurel Brown laurel.brown8385 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 15:50:12 PDT 2020

Hello Laura,

I do not know if this fulfills your need, but what I have done for clients
in the past who want their Healthcare POA to make the decisions re.
advanced healthcare directive, I have added the following to the advanced
healthcare directive document:

(      )  If I initial here I DECLINE to make a decision and leave the
decision to my Healthcare Durable Power of Attorney.

Best,

Laurel Brown

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 3:23 PM Laura Latta <laura at lauralatta.com> wrote:

> Hello Listmates,
> I've had a request that's a first for me, but not unreasonable. Client
> wants their healthcare directive to be contingent on the client's spouse
> being unavailable (predeceased or also incapacitated). Meaning that if the
> spouse (named as agent in a medical power of attorney) is able to serve in
> that capacity, the health care directive is not effective and all decisions
> are up to the spouse.
>
> Has anyone done this before? What are some legal or practical pitfalls to
> consider? Does anyone have language to this effect they would be willing to
> share?
>
> Thanks in advance for your thoughts and expertise.
>
> Warmly,
> Laura
> --
>

> *Laura LattaLaw Office of Laura Latta PLLC*
>
> she/her
>
> Phone (206) 841-2344
>
> www.LauraLatta.com
>
> PO Box 82356
>
> Kenmore, WA 98028
>

> *NOTICE:  This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
> information. If you have received it in error, please advise the sender by
> reply email and immediately delete the message and any attachments without
> copying it or disclosing its contents to others.*
> others.***

Laurel Brown
*Attorney and Counselor at Law*
*5071 SW Waite St.*