[WSBAPT] Advance Health Care Directive contingent on spouse being unavailable?

Laura Latta laura at lauralatta.com
Thu Sep 10 15:20:06 PDT 2020

Hello Listmates,
I've had a request that's a first for me, but not unreasonable. Client
wants their healthcare directive to be contingent on the client's spouse
being unavailable (predeceased or also incapacitated). Meaning that if the
spouse (named as agent in a medical power of attorney) is able to serve in
that capacity, the health care directive is not effective and all decisions
are up to the spouse.

Has anyone done this before? What are some legal or practical pitfalls to
consider? Does anyone have language to this effect they would be willing to
share?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and expertise.

Warmly,
Laura
--

*Laura LattaLaw Office of Laura Latta PLLC*

she/her

Phone (206) 841-2344

www.LauraLatta.com

PO Box 82356

Kenmore, WA 98028

*NOTICE:  This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you have received it in error, please advise the sender by
reply email and immediately delete the message and any attachments without
copying it or disclosing its contents to others.*