[WSBAPT] question regarding TEDRA and PROBATE

Mark Vohr mcv at ohanafc.com
Wed Sep 2 11:18:52 PDT 2020

Jenna – This is a bit complicated and you may have different suggestions.  There is no mention about the basis for the TEDRA action, perhaps that is not relevant to your questions.

Generally, a probate does not have to be opened to deal with the creditors.  There are two RCW’s you need to familiarize yourself with.  One is RCW 11.42 which outlines the process for dealing with creditors when there is no probate.  The other is RCW 11.10 dealing with the abatement of assets.  What I am not sure about, is whether you need to open a probate to take advantage of RCW 11.10.  My guess would be yes – you do – but a more thorough examination of RCW 11.42 might reveal other options.

Regards,

Mark

Mark C. Vohr, Esq.
Ohana Fiduciary Corp.