[WSBAPT] PUBLISH IN TWO COUNTIES?

Jennifer Gellner Jennifer at GELLNERLAWGROUP.COM
Tue Oct 27 16:11:52 PDT 2020

Dear All:

Client resided and died in Lewis County and probate opened in King County.  In reading RCW 11.40.020(2):

(2) If the decedent was a resident of the state of Washington at the time of death and probate
proceedings are commenced in a county other than the county of the decedent's residence, then
instead of the requirements under subsection (1)(a) and (b) of this section, the personal
representative shall cause the notice to creditors in substantially the form set forth in RCW 11.40.030
to be published once each week for three successive weeks in a legal newspaper in the county of the
decedent's residence and shall file the notice with the superior court of the county in which the
probate proceedings were commenced.

In the KCBA Probate CLE last Friday, I felt the presenters made it clear that you had to publish in BOTH county of residence and county of probate case, but when I read the statute, I was okay to have published only in Lewis county where D resided and passed, and filed the notice in the county of the proceedings.

Are people typically publishing in both to be careful?  Is there some other reason?

Let me know – thanks!!

Jennifer A. Gellner, LL.M.
Principal, Gellner Law Group
P: (425) 235-5535 │ Toll-Free: (877) 252-0738
E: jennifer at gellnerlawgroup.com<mailto:jennifer at gellnerlawgroup.com>
8407 S. 259th St. Suite 203, Kent, WA 98030
505 W. Riverside Ave., Suite 500, Spokane, WA 99201

NOTICE:  The contents of this message, including any attachments, may be protected by attorney-client privilege, the work product doctrine or other applicable legal protections.  If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify the sender and promptly delete the message.  Thank you for your cooperation.

CLIENT ADVISORY:  A spam filter is in use in our IT system.  If you have not received a reply to an e-mail message within 48 hours, please call or leave a voice message for me.