[WSBAPT] Unfunded trust

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Mon Oct 26 10:55:14 PDT 2020

Some time in the least year or two I was startled to learn that just a "Declaration of Trust" might be sufficient to transfer real property into a trust, when the Trustor and the Trustee are the same person. Even in the absence of a deed, apparently. But, despite the statute below I would do more research to determine to what extent Declaration of Trust is sufficient to actually place real property into a Trust, under Washington law.

RCW 11.98.008<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.98.008>
Trust creation-Methods.
A trust may be created by:
(1) Transfer of property to another person as trustee during the trustor's lifetime or by will or other disposition taking effect upon the trustor's death;
(2) Declaration by the owner of property that the owner holds identifiable property as trustee; or
(3) Exercise of a power of appointment in favor of a trustee.

This statute is from the 2011 overhaul of Trust statutes, so there might be some legislative history and commentary that could shed some light. Contrast the new statute with some old decisional law:

It has become the settled law of this state, in harmony with the generally accepted rule in this country, that an express trust in real property cannot rest in parol, but must be evidenced in writing. Among our decisions holding to this view of the law we note particularly the following, because they have to do with claimed express trusts in favor of grantors as against their direct grantees, which is this case: Spaulding v. Collins, 51 Wash. 488<https://casemaker4.casemakerlegal.com/internallinks/citation/51%20Wash.%20488>, 99 P. 306<https://casemaker4.casemakerlegal.com/internallinks/citation/99%20P.%20306>; Kinney v. McCall, 57 Wash. 545<https://casemaker4.casemakerlegal.com/internallinks/citation/57%20Wash.%20545>, 107 P. 385<https://casemaker4.casemakerlegal.com/internallinks/citation/107%20P.%20385>; Kalinowski v. McNeny, 68 Wash. 681<https://casemaker4.casemakerlegal.com/internallinks/citation/68%20Wash.%20681>, 123 P. 1074<https://casemaker4.casemakerlegal.com/internallinks/citation/123%20P.%201074>; Arnold v. Hall, 72 Wash. 50<https://casemaker4.casemakerlegal.com/internallinks/citation/72%20Wash.%2050>, 129 P. 914<https://casemaker4.casemakerlegal.com/internallinks/citation/129%20P.%20914>, 44 L. R. A. (N. S.) 349.